Monday, December 21, 2009

Locks of Love


My sweet little Hailey sat in the chair to get her hair cut with quite a decision to make today. She has wanted to get her hair cut shorter for quite some time now and I have been reluctant to let her because I love her long pretty hair. She thought that something to her shoulders would be nice and I agreed that we could do that. We waited long enough though that her hair met the minimum standard for donation for locks of love, barely. In order for her to be able to donate, she would have to get her hair cut right to the base of her neck. YIKES! I left the decision up to her and we both agreed that if she left the front long enough to tuck behind her ears that it would be fine. She then said, "mom it is fine with me if we cut it short so that another little girl can have hair to. Kelly go ahead and cut as much as you need." (Kelly is our close friend that cuts Hailey's hair.) Little tears filled up my eyes as I watched my innocent 5 year old give up something of hers that she loves so very much. (I know that it is just hair, but it really is abig deal for a little girl!) But she really did it without hesitation. After ten inches of hair we were done, she said to me with a big smile, "mom I like even more short than I would if I had left it long." I think that it turned out absolutely adorable. It is short in the back, but well worth it. I think that Hailey has a little bit of that unselfish giving holiday spirit that we all need.

6 comments:

Our Family said...

cute hair hailey mae!!!

kdance10 said...

She looks so cute. It makes her look older:) My little Megan did that a few years back, now my other daughter wants to. Hop eyou guys have a merry christmas

C Lysager said...

So cute!! Lauren really wants to cut her hair short too. She always says she is the only one with long hair in her class and she doesn't like it. I think she would look super cute with it, but i just don't know if I can do it.

Neika Boulter said...

oh that made me a little Teary .... she's so cute. And she looks absolutely beautiful and SOOO grown up!

The Lambert Family said...

How sweet of her! I love her new haircut too! :)

Danni R said...

my daughter (5) donated last year...she was so proud when she got her "thank you postcard" in the mail. Great cause! Congrats to your daughter!!